Odessa Police Department Motorcycle Unit History
The Motorcycle Unit was first placed into service in October 1939.
In 1958, the vehicle fleet of the Odessa Police Department consisted of 10 Patrol cars, 3 Detective Units, 1 Accident Unit, 7 Motorcycles, an Assistant Chief’s car and a Chief’s car. All officers received a new badge at a cost of $10.00 each. The population of the City of Odessa was 79,521 people.
Odessa Police Department Motorcycles were removed from service by City Manager Bill Brown in June 1989, just 4 months short of 50 years.
At this time there were 19 Motors in service.
Three motorcycle Officers before helmets were worn.
Motorcycle Officers Vernon Toone and Red Bailey with Cowboy film stars Bill Hale and Ray Whitley.
Motorcycle Officers with their new helmets.
Traffic Lt. Jim Hallman with Motorcycle Unit in 1976 - Unit on new Kawasaki’s (a switch from Harley Davidsons)
Unit from right to left:
Lee Freeman, Bobby J. Moore, Lt. Jim Hallman, J.D. Wingrove, Marshall Finley.